Monday, October 22, 2012

A New Project

I love baseball history and I am a very nostalgic person. I am mainly a set builder and I have been thinking of a way to showcase some cards while perserving some history along the way.  So I had an idea of showcasing some cards with league leaders in the major statistical categories, HR, RBI's AVG., Wins, SO, Saves, etc.and placing them in individual albums.

To further explain lets look at the 1979 Home Run Leaders:

1. Dave Kingman     48
2. Gorman Thomas  45
3. Mike Schmidt      45
4 Jim Rice               39
5. Fred Lynn           39
6. Don Baylor         36
7. Ken Singleton     35
8. Dave Winfield     34
9. Bob Horner        33

 So in my Home Run book I would have a page like this that represents the 1979 HR leaders.

You then could turn the page over and see the Home Run stats each player had in 1979. And there would be similar pages for the other years. This gives me the opportunity to chase some more cards and recognize some very good players. 

The only problem I have is determining what stats to do and what year to start. What do all of you think? Anybody else doing this?

4 comments:

  1. i think that's a cool idea. you will run into doubles if you go with hr and rbi for sure. still, i would do hr, rbi, avg, sb, wins, era, k, and maybe saves - the typical stats for league leader cards - if it were my collection. i would also start with 1978 since that was the first year i really followed baseball for a whole season. having said that, do whatever makes you happy about the collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I will definitely include 1978, and probably go back a bit further as well. The affordability of some star cards may dictate how far to go back.

    I was looking at the HR and RBI leaders and they would be in a totally different order and one player different for 1979. Also doing some research the 1979 AL Save leader was Mike Marshall of the Twins. He does not have a 1980 card. So I would have to use a Twins Team Card or "make a custom". Hardly worth not proceeding just for one player here and there.

    I was thinking of doing this with football as well. I would run into a similar situation with Earl Campbell and Lynn Swann for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something I used to do a ton of when I was younger(and up til now still do) was grab a bunch of cards and take all the hitters out of the bunch and take all their career highs in each category and write it down in a notebook.

    For example, Don Mattingly. Even now I know his highs are 117 runs, 238 hits, 53 doubles, 3 triples, 35 homers, and 145 rbi's.

    Then I would take each of the other career highs of the batters in that stack of cards and add there numbers below Mattingly's.

    After about 15 or so stat lines you had career stats of one awesome fictitious player.

    I must have went through over 100 notebooks of paper doing this, and along the way, pretty much knew every 80's on up player's stats.

    Plus, I inherited all my uncle's old baseball registers from the 50's-70's and devoured them to learn all the old stats( you would not believe the stats that came out of the Mexican league in that era. The top 10 RBI guys would have at least 130 or more).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a great idea. I agree with GarveyCeyRusselLopes in that you should hit the big stats: hr, rbi, avg, sb, wins, era, k, and saves.

    ReplyDelete