Thursday, May 3, 2012

A really good week....

After being out if the hobby for a loooong time, I think I had a really good week of collecting.

First, I discovered the Check Out My Cards website, pretty neat concept. I bought some 1979 Topps Football Team Checklist's and they arrived today. I am very pleased, but I am not to sure how much I will use this service.  I would love to hear some opinions about this service.

I mentioned in a previous post I bought a 1980 Kellogg's set off of ebay. Well that seller, set me up with the remaining 20 or so cards I needed to complete that set. After 33 years it is finished!

I really like the look of the set. The card design is very clean and has a nice image size area. This is my favorite card from this set.


It looks like Mr. Haden is about to launch a last minute "Hail Mary"  Look at the concentration in his eyes.

Now the best news ... This week was our Little League clinic and sign up and my son asked if we could go buy some cards after we were done. And I said YES!  So after the clinic we went to Toys R Us and got a few packs of Topps 2012. I  let him open them and discover them. He got a Tiger in the pack, Ryan Raburn and he was very happy.  After opening all the packs, I went through them and pointed out a few players that I thought he might recognize. (I think he was zeroing in on the Tigers and with his excitement he missed some other players that I knew he knew).  

At this point I shared with him my experiences at his age. I talked about having a "Stars" album. (Remember that?) We talked about getting cards autographed, trading, sleeves and handling. An then we talked about set building. By the time we were done, he decided he wants to build sets from this millennium on.  He will be working on Topps sets from 2000 on. We don't have any cards from these sets, but we should be able to get commons rather easy I presume.  We will keep you posted on his progress.

I am raising a 2nd generation collector and I am a proud Dad. 

I hope your week has been great as well!



No comments:

Post a Comment