Saturday, April 14, 2012

My First Time...

It was March of 1980, a cold winter day and I had been ice fishing with my dad. We stopped at the local bait shop and there on the counter was something I had never noticed before. Baseball cards. The price was $.25 for a pack and I had a quarter in my pocket. I was used to seeing these cardboard pictures, but mostly relative to movies and TV shows. I had some Star Wars cards and knew about the "gum", so these baseball cards were not that strange of a thing to me. So I placed my quarter on the counter and took a pack out of the box.


On the way home I opened the pack and this was the first card I saw.


A familiar face as I had recently watched the 1979 World Series the previous fall and had remembered the "We Are Family" team. I can remember getting a Detroit Tiger card which was a big deal as I grew up in Michigan. I don't remember all the cards that day, but I do remember one more.


Steve Rogers? Why would I remember this young right-hander? Growing up, my family had a very close friend and mentor by the same name and I thought that was the coolest thing I had ever seen. His name on a baseball card.

I can remember that day like it was yesterday and that was the day I fell in love with baseball, baseball cards and I still cherish those days.




1 comment: